Study Resources for Transitioning from Engineer to Manager
This page contains resources for engineering managers who are working on transitioning careers of their direct reports to engineering management.
- Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman.
- Effective Executive by Peter Drucker.
- Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done by Larry Bossidy
- Effective Manager by Mark Hostman
- It’s OK to Manage Your Boss by Bruce Tulgan
- It’s OK to Be The Boss by Bruce Tulgan
Continuous Education for Engineering Managers
We believe that learning the art of engineering management never stops. Below our list of further study resources that you can share with your directs and encourage them study on their own. Or, you can keep driving it using the guided self-study technique if they prefer.
- 27 Challenges Each Manager Faces by Bruce Tulgan is a practicall follow up for all managers, starting with the folks who just transitioned to engineering management, and for anyone who was practicing management for a while.
- Manager Tools Podcast by Michael Auzenne and Mark Horseman is an endless source of general management wisdom. We hihgly recommend it becase keep learning something new from it every day.