Engineering Process: Gap Analysis
Gap Analysis is an effective approach to identifying challenges in the areas of engineering processes, people and tools. Gap Analysis allows engineering managers to address challenges that prevent the team from delivering high quality software on time. In this podcast we provide a step-by-step guidance for conducting Gap Analysis and resolving the identified gaps.
Gap Analysis includes 5 key steps:
- Identify a problem area that needs to be addressed.
- Create an empty Gap Analysis document from a template.
- Populate Challenges, then Impact, then Proposed solutions, then Expected results.
- Assign importance and Effort.
- Define order of execution.
Once Gap Analysis is complete, build a plan, launch, execute and land the solutions to the gaps. Check out our Think-Plan-Execute podcast to learn how to effectively execute the plan.
Listen to “Engineering Process: Gap Analysis”
Here is the Excel template for Gap Analysis that we mention in this episode.