Building Managers: Implementing The Plan
In this episode we present a practical, step-by-step implementation guide for transitioning engineer’s career to the engineering management track. These steps include:
- Confirm that the engineer has right motivation.
- Confirm with your boss and HR the feasibility of training a new manager.
- Tell them that you will announce their career transition to the team.
- Talk to the team on 1:1 basis and share the transition. Share why they will be a good fit.
- Share the same in the public forum such as staff meeting.
- Prepare and share the implementation plan with your direct.
- Drive your direct’s guided self-study for 8-9 months, see resources.
- Manage their practice for the remainder of the year.
- Officially complete transition with HR during company’s official promotion period.
You can find the resources for guided self-study, and post-transition, continuous management study materials here.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Please reach out to us if you have suggestions or would like us to present on the topics of Effective Engineering Management at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us at https://www.effectiveem.com.